Skip to main content

tv   Inside Politics With Abby Phillip  CNN  May 14, 2023 8:00am-9:00am PDT

8:00 am
quote
8:01 am
crisis averted -- >> i want to be very clear. our borders are not open. >> after weeks of warnings, the southern border remains calm. thousands of migrants are still hoping to cross over. how long will it last? >> i asked her why the u.s.? she said, to have a better future. plus, facing off. >> governing is not about entertaining. it is ultimately about winning and producing results. >> the florida governor is back in iowa ahead of a 2024 announcement that could come any day. that has trump ended ron desantis's campaign before it began? and countdown to catastrophe -- >> america is not a deadbeat nation. we pay our bills. >> i have no plan, no proposed savings, and no clue.
8:02 am
>> with three weeks to go, can the president and speaker make a deal to avoid a devastating default? >> hello, and welcome to inside politics sunday. i am abby philli p. calm, not chaos. 48 hours after a covid era policy allowed the u.s. to quickly turn away migrants expired, these are now the scenes at the u.s./mexico border. for weeks, officials had feared an influx at the border as a result of title 42 being lifted would come, but so far, border patrol agents say those have not come to pass. still, asylum-seekers who are making the dangerous trek to the u.s./mexico border, they will face a reshaped immigration landscape. we are on the ground in el paso, texas. hello, right now, things are a bit more calm, even at the beginning of the week. migrants are facing tougher immigration policies now than before.
8:03 am
what are you seeing on the ground? >> reporter: those policies could be a factor in all of this. good morning to you. those pictures in el pas o tell you everything you need to know as far as what the head of homeland security is saying, there is no apparent spike in illegal crossings after the expiration of title 42, and this conversation this morning, the secretary of the department of homeland security said they experienced a 50 % decrease in
8:04 am
the total apprehensions. the number was about 10,000 leading up to thursday to the expiration of the public health policy. the subsequent days, for example, on a friday, the number dropped to 6300 according to the secretary then 4200 yesterday. today, the number is likely to continue to drop. the system remains quite strained. in fact, according to one official who recently filed federal court documents, the number of people who are in custody leading up to the expiration is certainly at a record number. the result has been overcrowding in processing facilities. in the one shelter we visited yesterday in el paso, the folks who run it had to turn away some families, saying they are also at capacities. perhaps the 50% drop will allow some officials on the ground or the front lines to get their head above water. i tell you what, there is a number that will continue to increase. the total number of asylum- seekers that are arriving in america's largest cities. i have been speaking to many of them whose compass is set in chicago, washington, d.c., and new york. these are numbers that are likely to rise by a few dozen per day. in new york city, where i have been covering this, that can rise by several hundred a day.
8:05 am
that's why you have municipal leaders at the local level that are calling not just on lawmakers but the president of the united states to step in and do something with the tens of thousands of people who arrived recently who, rather whether republicans or democrats like it or not, are here to see this play out. >> and on the front lines in el paso, what are you hearing from the migrants who are already there? many of them are coming with their families, seeking some kind of opportunity? >> right . yeah. we actually spent some time in the shelter yesterday. we found many people are in a state of limbo, abby. they have been apprehended and processed by federal authorities, and released. they are taking shelter for a day or two. as they try to plan out the next day, it can lead to hopelessness. we found because of many migrant mothers, that was appropriate on mother's day, there was a sense of hope as
8:06 am
they are caught in a difficult situation. many of them don't know when or if they will be able to go to their final destinations. hold their children close. i had an opportunity to speak to a woman named connie. it is a bitter mother's day for her. she crossed the border illegally before turning herself in to u.s. authorities with her three daughters. she was processed and released with her six-year-old. however, her older daughters are still in detention. she is not going anywhere. she remains in el paso until she can find out when her daughters will be released. then she will take up opportunities to go to houston. >> thank you for all of that and putting a human face on something especially this mother's day. thank you. andro -- alondra mayorkas said, it is clear that what we are seeing in administration's plan, according to him, is working. >> we haveclearly a vital imls of arriving on the southern border. there is a lawful, safe and orderly way to arrive in the united states that is through the pathways that president biden has expanded in a
8:07 am
presidential way. there is a consequence if one does not use those vital pathways. >> here to discuss all of this and more, jeff, kiersten of echelon insights, barbara lopez of the pbs news hour, and washington post, paul kane. so just on the basic question of title 42 has expired, today, we are here on a sunday. what are we seeing on the border ? it is not what i think biden's critics have expected and what they were saying was going to happen. so does the white house feel better about the situation, good about the situation right now? >> i think now they feel good about the situation as the secretary was saying. they think that their policies are working right now. i was texting with an immigration lawyer as well as an advocate down there in el paso also on the border. they were saying not much has changed for them in terms of
8:08 am
how they are helping migrants or whether or not the attorney is working for some migrants across el paso and new mexico. i think that's because of the policies that were then put in place when title 42 was lifted. so there are some asylum restrictions that are being challenged from progressive organizations that president biden put in place because asylum restrictions are so limiting for being able to actually seek asylum. they know that migrants are aware of that. it is not easy right now. they are not flooding the border. >> yeah. that's a huge part of this. that's why sometimes if you think you transpose the names, if it were trumped doing this instead of biden, biden doing this instead of trump, what have you, people on the other side of the aisle would have different perspectives on it. they are vulcanized in their camps. republicans are doubling down on this because the poll numbers from reuters showing 60% of americans disapprove of president biden's handling of immigration, real or perceived.
8:09 am
those are the numbers that the biden administration is dealing with. >> without a doubt. those numbers are likely, i'm guessing not to change in the short-term despite, you know, the relatively orderly seems, at least, it looks like in the first few days. the biden administration says this will remain orderly. immigration will remain a central challenge for them. there are some things they can do about it, many things they cannot do about it. if we fast-forward to 2024 in the months leading up to the election, this will likely still be a major challenge for them. one thing absent is any talk about immigration reform .
8:10 am
there is still a discussion going on on the hill about this. it is unlikely to happen. every time we go through a wave of immigration challenge and discussions, that is one thing that is still missing. >> yeah. i mean, we historically see this issue being super potent for republican voters, much less so for the republican country. i wonder sometimes if that will change as we are seeing migrant issues starting to affect places pretty far from the border because of the sheer numbers. how much does it matter that it really is very potent if you are a conservative leaving, but maybe not so much for other voters? >> it is certainly the case if you ask what the top issue is, immigration is near the top of the list. as we heard, folks are coming to the border and going elsewhere. the issues begin to affect other communities. it can certainly change the political geography of who is interested in immigration and
8:11 am
where. consider also the politics of the border. this is an area it was long suspected that republicans would struggle as state led texas demographics changed. the exact counties and precincts swung quite read over the past few years. if you go to the average swing voter and said we had 6000 crossings on friday, but then we have less on saturday. i don't think that will put them at ease that immigration has been fixed. >> i want you to take a listen to -- this is mark green -- a congressman, the chairman of the homeland security talking about this issue. he is pushing back really on what alejandro mayorkas said earlier this morning about how the numbers are coming down. listen. >> what the secretary failed to say is this week, we have seen more crossings than any week in our history. he admitted just moments ago that they can't predict the peak. cdp said 40% increase is expected with title 42 gone. that's another 9 million people in two years. >> of those numbers are right, what are they going to do about it? >> as laura was saying earlier,
8:12 am
i think with the biden administration, what they did pretty good so far was communicate to the migrants, hey, this is not a free pass. you can't search. it created this rush to get in before title 42 expired. everybody was expecting the rush to come after it expired. instead, people wanted to get in before it expired because they think it's going to be tougher. that's what chairman greene was referring to, there. to jeff's point, there is still not really an answer on the hill. there is a group of bipartisan senators. there is about half a dozen who have talked about things, who have ideas of what could come together. they are a group of 6. they are nowhere near getting 60 or 65 people on board. >> i want you to listen to this flashback, ronald reagan, 1986, the last time we had a comprehensive immigration bill passed. >> this bill, the immigration reform and control act of 1986 that i will sign in a few minutes, is the most comprehensive reform of our immigration laws since 1952. it's the product of one of the
8:13 am
legislating undertakings in the last congress. further, it is an excellent example of a truly bipartisan effort. >> while over decades have passed since that, it sometimes seems we do not have the capacity as a congress and as a country to get back there again. we will see in the coming months. and coming up next for us, teflon don versus meatball ron. governor desantis is preparing to jump into the 2024 race. who is he more scared of? that is next. >> inside politics sunday,y, brought to you by adt, brilliantly safe.
8:14 am
♪ ♪ the biggest ideas inspire new ones. 30 years ago, state street created an etf that inspired the world to invest differently. it still does. what can you do with spy? ♪ ♪
8:15 am
- booked our trip to vegas! - in this economy? what, are we rich?! ♪ ♪ are we rich? we could get a personal chef! i heard about this guy on the news that, that serves a very rare species of fish. highly illegal. he's wanted by interpol. we could have his scary fish whenever we want! - we're not rich... i used kayak to compare hundreds of travel sites to get a great deal on our flight, car, and hotel. - oh. - kayak. search one and done. when you really need to sleep. you reach for the really good stuff. zzzquil ultra helps you sleep better and longer when you need it most. its non-habit forming and powered by the makers of nyquil. when i was diagnosed with h-i-v,
8:16 am
i didn't know who i would be. but here i am... being me. keep being you... and ask your healthcare provider about the number one prescribed h-i-v treatment, biktarvy. biktarvy is a complete, one-pill, once-a-day treatment used for h-i-v in many people whether you're 18 or 80. with one small pill, biktarvy fights h-i-v to help you get to undetectable—and stay there whether you're just starting or replacing your current treatment. research shows that taking h-i-v treatment as prescribed and getting to and staying undetectable prevents transmitting h-i-v through sex. serious side effects can occur, including kidney problems and kidney failure. rare, life-threatening side effects include a buildup of lactic acid and liver problems. do not take biktarvy if you take dofetilide or rifampin. tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines and supplements you take, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney or liver problems, including hepatitis. if you have hepatitis b do not stop taking biktarvy without talking to your healthcare provider. common side effects were diarrhea, nausea, and headache. no matter where life takes you, biktarvy can go with you. talk to your healthcare provider today. at t-mobile, your business will save over $1000.
8:17 am
what are you going to do with it? i could use a new sign. with t-mobile for business, save more than $1000 versus verizon. and with our price lock guarantee, we'll never raise your rate plan. ever. i brought in ensure max protein, with 30 grams of protein. those who tried me felt more energy in just two weeks. uh... here i'll take that. ensure max protein with 30 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar and nutrients for immune health. ♪ governor ron desantis was back in iowa yesterday trying to get his 2024 groove back. donald trump was supposed to be there, too. he canceled his rally due to a tornado warning. so ron desantis had the state
8:18 am
to himself. he flipped burgers. he engaged in retail politics that people say he typically shuns. he took what could generously be described as a swipe at the front runner in the race. >> if we make 2024 election a referendum on joe biden and his failures, and we provide a positive alternative for the future of this country, republicans will win across the board. if we do not do that, if we get distracted, if we focus the election on the past or other side issues, then i think the democrats are going to beat us again. i think it will be very difficult to recover from that defeat. >> former president trump on the other hand, has not been quite so subtle. earlier in the week when he talked about his top rival -- >> iam leading to sanctimonious
8:19 am
by a lot, 40 points, 45 points. i think he ought to relax, take it easy and it about the future. right now, his future is not looking so good. >> the problem with rhonda sanctimonious is he needs a personality transplant and those are not available. >> he is sticking with to sanctimonious. that is the thing. trump team is going hard in more ways than one, trying to make ron desantis seem defunct before he is in the race. is it working? >> the polls right now are still premature, right? he's not even in the race. even though donald trump is formidable, and at this moment the front runner for the republican nomination, we have a long way to go. that said, i think there is an argument to be made by someone. you have seen desantis try to make it. there is a real risk going with donald trump again because the
8:20 am
republican voters know that he is not everybody's favorite flavor, so to speak. for many republicans, they view the next election as existential. what i see in my polling is they don't just view the next election as competing two different visions for policy. for many, they have an apocalyptic survival for the country kind of view, and they are risking it on going back to donald trump who has been responsible directly or indirectly for republican losses. that's why you see ron desantis trying to hammer the message home. donald trump is no longer the one who is going to lead us to winning. >> there is no question, jeff. this has been a rough go for ron desantis. just an early stage, this is a headline from the times, this is a piece on the failings, why ron desantis is limping to the starting line. as evidence that they know this is not going well is the fact that they called our friend, jay mart down to florida for a meeting with the brain trust to kind of pitch him on a reset. here's what they told him. everybody knows the majority of the republican party wants to
8:21 am
move on, says ron desantis's campaign manager and closest aid. another told him, the major donor network has walked away from trump. they are looking for new leadership. 85% of them are waiting for ron desantis. maybe, except we can still hear regularly from would be donors who say, we are holding off for now. >> right. to your point, what you were saying about how are republicans want to win, three words that governor desantis says in every speech, he said it repeatedly yesterday in iowa, the culture of losing. he is trying to impress upon republicans that it must be time to reject the culture of losing. so he is not talking about donald trump by name. he is talking about him in spirit. and the midterms, the question is, can ron desantis bring it? now, we are on the cusp of him announcing, finally, his
8:22 am
campaign that has been in the works for some time, likely at the end of the month or in early days of june. he will have to show he is the athlete, that he sort of proclaims to be. he is a baseball player from college. he will have to show he can perform at a high level and a short period of time. there is six months or so before voters begin finalizing decisions in iowa and new hampshire. you know, you will have to build this coalition. but i think early polls at this point, as you are saying, we should effectively and more than -- ignore them. he has not yet proven that he is able to sort of live up to the hopes, dreams and aspirations of what republicans thought he would. >> is that clip we played of ron desantis the strongest he sounds? he doesn't talk about him by name. he talks about the culture of losing. it is hard to see how by continuing on in that vein that he wins over the chunk of the republican electorate that is still wedded to trump.
8:23 am
when it comes to the culture of losing, to me, the policy does stick out because the fact that desantis and trump are relying on abortion. that was a massive issue in 2022. it will continue to be a massive issue in 2024. and how did they win in the suburbs or win back more women they have lost in recent election cycles when they are both aligned on this issue against? >> since you brought it up, let's talk about that. at the cnn town hall this week, trump made some news on this abortion issue. let's play what he said. >> for 50 years, this has been going on. i was able to do it. i was honored to do it. >> would you sign a federal abortion ban into law? >> i will negotiate so people are happy. >> mr. president, you would
8:24 am
sign an abortion ban into law? >> i said this, i want to do what's right. some people are at six weeks -- >> where does it go? >> president trump is going to make a determination what he thinks is great for the country. >> so, laura, you pointed out, maybe they are aligned on abortion. but you can't really tell from the clip because trump is trying so hard to avoid being nailed down on a number. he doesn't want to say six or 15. he doesn't want to say national. is he trying to create some space for himself? >> he created a problem for himself in both the primary and general election. for the primary voters, they did not hear anything concrete. they were kind of hearing a guy waffling about a core issue for a lot of republican voters. in the general election, a lot of people heard him really taking credit for that supreme court decision which has proved to be very bad for republicans. he had a problem in that regard on the way he waffled there. it was like john kerry talking
8:25 am
about the iraq war in 2004. >> yeah. i think the line he said over and over to your point, paul, about i am the reason that roe v. wade fell, it was me, i put the judges on the court, that's going to be played over and over in the general election. >> it is putting to the test, how much are evangelical voters who are pro-life in the republican coalition, how wedded are they to donald trump in a situation where he doesn't make these firm commitments? the reality is, when i ask republican voters what the top cultural issue is for them, abortion is not at the top of the list. right now, the energy around abortion is on the left, not the right. the right is focused on issues like gender identity, et cetera. so he may be gambling that actually, this is not an issue that will cost him with the far right. >> i wonder if this raises the
8:26 am
question, when are republicans running against trump going to actually start taking on trump? the other thing that came up in the town hall was this e. jean carroll case which he was found liable for sexual assault. he tried to make a punchline out of it in the town hall. but earlier in the week, here's how his rivals responded to that verdict from the jury. >> i'm not going to get into that. that is something for trump to respond to. we have got to focus on what people are talking about. >> i think that's a question for the american people. i really can't comment on a judgment in a civil case. i don't think it's where the american people are focused. >> i have been pretty busy. i know there's different stuff in the news. >> why pull the punches on that one? >> the reason is simple. because these candidates are all still trying to get support and access to trump voters. it is still his party without question. when you talk to republican strategists, when are your candidates going to go after trump? it will happen without a doubt.
8:27 am
and i am told by some desantis advisors, once he is formally in the race, he knows he has to engage more directly on this. they view no upside at this point in the republican primary. because to win, they would like to peel off some of those trump voters. i think one thing interesting happened this weekend. when trump decided not to go to des moines, there are local republican activists who were tweeting in the register this morning, wondering why he didn't come. there was a tornado watch, not a warning. it expired before the rally. a small crowd was gathered. we know trump can draw a big crowd. it was interesting that he scheduled his iowa rally because he has an eye on desantis. as you know, he had the upper hand in the fight. we will see if that continues this summer. >> and for folks, just because he showed up at a stop -- >> the weather is great.
8:28 am
>> shaking hands, hugging people, that seemed to show he was paying attention to what was going on. but up next for us, three weeks to go until a devastating default on the debt. so presidedent biden and speake mccarthy, arare they moving closer to a deal? we will tell you, next. ♪ ? apartments.com the place to find a place. asking the right question can greatly impact your futu. - are, are you qualified to do this? - what? - especially when it comes to your finances. - are you a certified financial planner™? - i'm a cfp® professional. - cfp® professionals are committed to acting in your best interest. that's why it's gotta be a cfp®.
8:29 am
8:30 am
♪ ("i like to move it" by reel 2 real plays) ♪ we're reinventing our network... for total confidence and complete control. ♪ ♪ fast. reliable. perfectly orchestrated. the united states postal service. ♪ move it! ♪ >> woman: why did we choose safelite? we were loading our suv when... crack! safelite came right to us, and we could see exactly when they'd arrive with a replacement we could trust. that's service the way we want it. >> singers: ♪ safelite repair, safelite replace. ♪
8:31 am
8:32 am
we are just under three weeks to go until the treasury department could run out of cash to pay the united states his bills. president biden and congressional republicans spent the week sparring over how to raise the debt ceiling responsibly. >> we have a speaker who has his job because he yielded to the, quote, maga element of the party. >> they have no plan, no proposed savings, and no clue. apparently, president biden doesn't want to deal. he wants to default.
8:33 am
>> but, as is often the case in washington, privately, the white house and congressional staff did meet this weekend. there have been some small signs of progress which president biden hinted at yesterday. >> i think we will move along. it's hard to tell. we have not reached that point yet. there are real discussions about changes. but we are not there yet. >> has to be. there is progress being made. surprise. the meeting was probably a little bit for show. was it the starting gun? >> yes. that meeting early last week, it was sort of an ally of kevin mccarthy described it as dogs greeting one another. >> sniffing the butt? >> seeing how things go. and now the staff are doing the
8:34 am
policy work. they are talking about actual budget, two years, five years, 10 years on this, five years on that, 10 years on this. they are back and forth with real policy. now, they were supposed to meet on friday, the principles and the 4 congressional leaders, and they postponed that. you can read that as some people say. this is a good sign. staff are making progress. we want to continue making progress so when the principles meet, things are good. there is also concern when some republicans are kinda being slow walked by the white house to get it closer to the deadline to create more sort of tension and chaos. so we are going to know by about tuesday whether or not, you know, are the things coming together?
8:35 am
do the principles meet? president biden leaves later this week for a trip to asia. and if he leaves without the principals meeting again, that is a very bad sign. >> it is crunch time. >> the president has said, although i am skeptical he would stay back as we reach the june 1st date, the white house tried to spin the delay of that friday meeting as progress is being made. this is still positive. it's not negative. some of that might also be because of they had a meeting amongst the principals and exited the meeting with no real tangible, then again, there is a cycle of where exactly are they on this? one thing they seem to be reaching agreement on is permitting reform. it appears as if the white house might be willing to work with republicans as well as potentially unspent covid funds. >> just add to what you said, some spending caps seem to be perhaps on the table, but not on the table is what some republicans want, a repeal of the student loan forgiveness
8:36 am
plan, cuts to medicaid, food stamps, et cetera. so i look at this but i don't see the numbers that you need in order to get where republicans want to be. >> the covid money and these other things, we are talking a fraction of the money, even in the billions. it's a fraction of the money. so look, what we are leaning toward, if those are the only items on the table, are a democrat with republicans signing on in the house. i still don't know that will happen. so i think what is missing from all of this to me is a sense of urgency that still hasn't kicked in despite the fact we are 15 days away from that .
8:37 am
once members of congress start feeling this pressure and urgency from their constituents, a sense of worry, they are on wall street or that people will be impacted by this, i think that's when things start to move. i still don't feel that. maybe that will come this week. maybe not. >> i wonder what you think from trump at the town hall this week. he is giving republicans an excuse to do nothing at all to negotiate. >> you think the u.s. should default if the white house does not agree to the spending cuts? >> you might as well do it now
8:38 am
because you will do it later. we have to save this country. our country is dying. >> the u.s. defaulting would be controversial for everyone -- >> you don't know. it is psychological. it is psychological more than anything else. it can be very bad. it could be maybe nothing. >> so before you jump in, i want you to look at this washington post abc news poll. 26% says congress should raise it, only raise the debt ceiling if biden agrees to spending cuts. 58% say they should be handled separately. you have a message from trump on one side, then something else, perhaps, from the american public in polling. >> this is sensitive to how you ask it. i seen versions of the question. when you ask it you say, should president biden come to the table and negotiate around spending, or should he demand a clean debt ceiling increase? when you move it that way, it's more the former than the latter. so there is not a sense of urgency certainly in the electorate. or is this assumption, this will get solved. there may be conflation in the minds of voters between deflating the debt and government shutdowns. we have had this crisis, we have to do this are also bad thing x happens. you see the government shutdown, we get through it. this would be categorically different than the things we experienced before. i don't think the american electorate understands that or believes it. >> just to reiterate, we have never defaulted on the debt. we have a government shutdowns. we never defaulted on the debt.
8:39 am
before we go, let's play swing voter sounds. these voters voted for trump in 2016, then biden in 2020. here's what they have to say about all of this. >> it's like with your own spending, well, we will keep moving our budget up. then you never have any limits. >> i work for a public operation. we watch every single penny, especially now. and we make hard cuts. i think there must be waste across the board. >> things will have to be cut in slivers. i don't think massive cuts. slivers across the board could equal massive cuts collectively. >> they should pull away from sending so much money out of the country and focus more on the people that's in the country . >> so just to give you a sense of what we were talking about, these are swing voters. they might be republican leaning, but swing voters. >> i think president biden is paying attention to voters like that. particularly, he has been trying to stress and go out
8:40 am
more than we saw barack obama go out when he was having similar fights with republicans. we saw biden on the stump this week trying to make his case of, i'm not saying no spending cuts. i'm not saying i won't negotiate around the budget. but he is still wedded to this lesson, you don't negotiate on the debt ceiling and trying to make clear to the american public what exactly would happen in the case of a default. coming up next for us, congressman george santos returns to washington, d.c. after being indicted on federal terminal charges. but what does the latest legal peril actually mean for his political career? >> how are you? good to see you. >> can you answer the question? >> how do you expect to run for reelection after facing these charges and lying to voters fof the past two years? ipment.
8:41 am
i have moderate to severe crohn's disease. now, there's skyrizi. ♪ things are looking up ♪ ♪ i've got symptom relief ♪ ♪ control of my crohn's means everything to me. ♪ ♪ ♪ control is everything to me. ♪ feel significant symptom relief with skyrizi, including less abdominal pain and fewer bowel movements at 4 weeks.
8:42 am
skyrizi is the first and only il-23 inhibitor for crohn's that can deliver both clinical remission and endoscopic improvement. the majority of people on skyrizi achieved long lasting remission at 1 year. serious allergic reactions and an increased risk of infections or a lower ability to fight them may occur. tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms, had a vaccine or plan to. liver problems may occur in crohn's disease. ask your gastroenterologist how you can take control of your crohn's with skyrizi. ♪ ♪ control is everything to me. ♪ learn how abbvie could help you save.
8:43 am
♪inspiring music♪ ♪ start your day with nature made. the #1 pharmacist recommended vitamin and supplement brand. and there he is. chaz. the rec league's self-crowned pickleball king.
8:44 am
do you just bow down? no you de-thrown the king. pedialyte. 3x the electrolytes. ♪ choosing miracle-ear was a great decision. like when i decided to host family movie nights. miracle-ear made it easy. i just booked an appointment and a certified hearing care professional evaluated my hearing loss and helped me find the right device calibrated to my unique hearing needs. now i enjoy every moment. the quiet ones and the loud ones. make a sound decision. call 1-800 miracle now, and book your free hearing evaluation. the list of scandals plaguing congressman george santos grew even longer this week. by 13 counts, to be
8:45 am
exact. the long island republican was indicted on adderall criminal charges into his finances. among the accusations he is facing, donors using campaign cash to purchase designing clothes and lying to congress while collecting thousands of dollars in covid unemployment benefits during the height of the pandemic. that is despite working, apparently, on a six-figure job at the time. so santos pleaded not guilty and made it very clear he wasn't going anywhere. >> the reality is is, it is a witchhunt. because it makes no sense that in four months, four months, five months, i am indicted. the way i look at it, i will be chairman of the committee in a couple years if you look at the standards of congress. >> meanwhile, republican leaders are still standing by their man. >> every american will have
8:46 am
their day in court. it will go through like another member inside the house. santos will never be put on committee. he won't serve on committee. he will go to trial. we will find out what the outcome is. >> in america there is a presumption of innocence. there are serious charges. he will have to go through the legal process. >> this will play itself out. unfortunately, this is not the first time a member of congress from either party has been indicted. >> shameless list by name is george santos. for congressional leaders, they are trying to argue that their oversight responsibilities are to stop the exact thing that one of their sitting congressman is accused of doing, but they won't say he's got to go. >> there was a bill on the floor last week that dealt with fraud in unemployment insurance during covid. a cosponsor of the bill, george santos. he did vote yes on that bill. they are in, abby, a difficult position.
8:47 am
every standard and precedent, this has happened. there are many members of congress who get indicted. usually, they lose a committee chairmanship if they are that powerful. or they get kicked off of committees altogether. george santos is on no committees. the president will allow the indicted board member to serve until there is some sort of verdict or plea deal. it can take a long time. bob menendez wind 2.5 years between indictment and winning at trial, you know, getting his chairmanship back. so santos could be in a very long time here until through the election of 2024. and that is the problem. they would love him to go away. they don't know how to do it without breaking the congressional precedent. >> i'm not sure speaker mccarthy does want him to go away because of very thin margins. >> it's not right.
8:48 am
>> not right now, not before he could potentially keep his majority after the 2024 cycle which, you know, democrats think they can win back the house in that cycle. but that has a big element here because of the fact, yeah. on all of the votes, even the immigration bill, excuse me, the abortion bill that republicans passed, those were passed by very narrow margins because of the fact that he has a narrow majority. >> he was the 217th vote for the debt limit bill. he was the very last person to vote to give it a majority. >> let's be honest. george santos knows that. that's why he's running around capitol hill talking every chance he gets. but listening to his republican colleagues from new york who are basically sick of all of this -- >> my belief is george santos needs to go. he needs to resign. i have said that repeatedly. and i believe if he had any decency or dignity he would.
8:49 am
>> is a complete embarrassment. the nation's focus needs to be on solutions that matter, no longer george santos. >> there is a clock ticking. george santos should've resigned in january, should resigned yesterday, and maybe you should've resigned today. but honesty and justice will be delivered to him. >> and by the way, one of the reasons you are hearing this is because george santos and several other republicans from new york, they are in biden districts. they are in districts that in some cases, biden won by a good double-digit margin. >> for sure. it's more of a saying. the bottom line is, if there was a majority that speaker mccarthy had to work with, he would be gone by now. the pelicans are sick of answering questions about george santos. they are going to continue. they're going to drag it out.
8:50 am
it is interesting when he tried to use the word witchhunt, i think one person uses that phrase. and george santos is not donald trump as much as he wants to act like that. it's a joke. it's like a cheap version of that. as mitt romney said a few months ago, like, you don't belong here. that's what a lot of republicans believe and feel. but they need his vote. >> also, if i'm not mistaken, kevin mccarthy did say i will not support them for reelection. that might be the closest you can get to thank you, next in the situation he is in. to me, when i look at the charges that have been leveled against him, there was a lot of heat around things like was he a drug performer in brazil? was he a volleyball performer? but from my perspective, i always said there's a lot of campaign expenses for $199.99. that doesn't
8:51 am
8:52 am
8:53 am
8:54 am
8:55 am
yesterday, president biden became the seventh sitting president to give the commencement address at howard university right here at washington, d.c. it is one of the nation's oldest historically black universities and in his remarks he echoed the central theme of his 2020 election bid as well as his current reelection bid and that is that the u.s. is in a battle for the soul of the nation. he also offered words of hope to the new graduates. >> class of 2023, you're the reason i'm so optimistic about the future, and i keep my word. i really mean it. you're part of the most gifted, tolerant, talented, best-educated generation in american history. that's a fact, and it's your generation more than anyone else's that will answer the questions for america, who are we? what do we stand for?
8:56 am
what do you believe? what do we believe? what do we want to be? so on the hill top high keep standing for truth and right and send your rays of light. congratulations to you all. we need you. god bless you and may god protect our troops! [ cheers and applause ] >>. our congratulations to howard's class 2023 and all of the grad wads this season, but that is it for us here on "inside politics sunday." coming up next "the state of the union" with jake tapper and dana bash and thank you for sharing your sunday morning with us and to all of mothers out there, including my own, a very happy mother's day. have a great day. ♪ ♪ fast. reliable. perfectly orchestrtrated. the united states postal service. ♪ move it! ♪
8:57 am
all across the cntry, people are working hard to build a better future. so we're hard at work, helping them achieve financial freedom. we're investing for our clients in the projects that power our economy. from the plains to the coasts, we help americans invest for their future. and help communities thrive. ♪ ♪ ♪
8:58 am
voltaren. the joy of movement. ♪ (vo) with verizon, you can now get a private 5g network. so you can do more than connect your business, you can make it even smarter. now ports can know where every piece of cargo is. and where it's going. (dock worker) right on time. (vo) robots can predict breakdowns and order their own replacement parts. (foreman) nice work. (vo) and retailers can get ahead of the fashion trend of the day with a new line tomorrow. with a verizon private 5g network, you can get more agility and security. giving you more control of your business. we call this enterprise intelligence. from the network america relies on.
8:59 am
and this is ready to go online. any questions? -yeah, i got one. how about the best network imaginable? let's invent that. that's what we do here.
9:00 am
quick survey. who wants the internet to work, pretty much everywhere. and it needs to smooth, like super, super, super, super smooth. hey, should you be drinking that? -it's decaf. because we're busy women. we don't have time for lag or buffering. who doesn't want internet that helps a.i. do your homework even faster. come again. -sorry, what was that? introducing the next generation 10g network only from xfinity. the future starts now.

109 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on